Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take

Subject: Re: [OM] slide vs neg film - my take
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:33:57 -0500
I've followed this thread with more than a passing interest from the
beginning.  I shoot 99olo(u)r negative film.  My reason for this is
simple enough - I home process.  Standardizing on one film (was Kodak PPF
400, now Kodak 400VC) makes darkroom life much simpler by reducing the
variables I have to deal with, thereby reducing waste and improving the
"keeper" ratio.  And it makes me happier when I have fewer errors <G>

Chromes are good and have their place; there are times, such as a test, when
chromes are the best way to go.

Regarding digital, please take a moment and read
http://www.sinarbron.com/workflow.htm.  I consider Sinar view camera among
the world's finest imaging tools.  In combination with a digital back, the
studio photographer has a very strong business case to work digitally.
Time, precious time, is just too valuable in this greed driven world of
ours.  Eliminating the chemical steps from the image delivery process
greatly reduces "time to market", a key measure in any fast-paced business.

Eventually film as we know it today will go the way of tin-types, blue
sensitive plates and dye transfer processing.  The good Lord willing, I may
even live long enough to see it.  And my grandchildren will wonder what
Grandpa ever saw in those odd time consuming, smelly chemical processes.
Let 'em wonder <G>