Re: [OM] Re: ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:45:05 EST
catsmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I end up throwing away at least 50% that did
 not burn right.

It depends also on your computer and it's hard disk and the : cache setting /
DMA/ 32bit drive setting / setup of the hard disk. Many of the CD burners are
the same mechanism with a different label on them and sometimes they have
different software/ROMS. For example the first generation devices were often
made by Ricoh and you could actually update the flash ROM using different
vendors upgrade software. (I would not recommend this!) I had some trouble
initially then after I upgraded the flash ROM from the vendors website my
data CD's burn ok but if I try to burn audio the outer tracks have some
crackly noise on them but the inner tracks are ok. I believe in my case it is
hard drive related. I think the MS knowledge base has some software that
checks some windoz settings for ROM burner compaibility. Obviously you need
to have only the burner running and no other software. (You should not try to
browse the internet while burning!). When I was having trouble I sometimes
used to burn at single speed to ensure that the burn went well. I assume you
did all the normal hard disk defragging and optimizing.

There are a number of web resources with lots of advice.
here are a few I had bookmarked, some have more links:

http://www.deja.com/[tr=altfaq]/article/342280842
  for ricoh based burners :
http://www.arrakis-ttm.com/cdr/tommp6200main.html
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/