[OM] Re: ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER

Subject: [OM] Re: ADVICE ON CD BURNER/RECORDER
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 06:31:33 -0500
Rand said to Catmaster and Samuel:
  I too, had an experience with an "off" brand (JVC, also) CD "burner.
I almost stopped using it because of the high "coaster-factor".  I
purchased an HP 8210i and the problems with coasters went down to about
3-5% which I can live with.
--------------------------------------
I'll put in a plug for HP as well.  We have an HP 4x CD-R/RW at work and
I'm unaware of any failures.  It's rarely asked to write more than 100MB
but it always seems to do it correctly.

Now, having recommended HP, I'd also say that before tossing the JVC
drives (also a good name) I'd check them out with name brand media.  Who
knows, it could be the media as easily as the drive.  And if you're
already using what should be good quality media try another brand or
another lot.  I remember several years ago having bought two boxes of
Verbatim diskettes that had about a 90 percent failure rate.  The
writable CD business is getting extremely price competitive on both
drives and media and there may be temptation to skimp on the quality.

Speed may also be a factor.  I'd hazard a guess that a 4X drive may be
more reliable than an 8X drive.  Here again, the media may be important
also or perhaps more important.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA