Re: [OM] Tri-X (+ Leica lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tri-X (+ Leica lenses)
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:05:21 -0500
For Leica lenses, here's the scoop on the names and what lenses they represent.

50/2 Summitar: 1939-53, Screw Mount (LTM) only, Collapsable only. Large front element to reduce vignetting. 50/2 Summicron 1953-present, LTM and M-mount, Collapsable and Rigid mounts. First Leitz lens to use high-refractive lanthanum glass elements for superior color correction. Several version since then. Bellweather lens for 50mm quality.

35/3.5 Summaron: 1949-58: LTM and M mounts
35/2.8 Summaron: 1958-6?: LTM and M mounts, used HR lanthanum glass, superceded rapidly by 35/2 Summicron, rare lens, especially in LTM. 35/2 Summicron: 1958-Present: LTM and M mounts, used HR lanthanum glass, at least 4 optical variations, including aspherical surfaces introduced in 1997 (I think).

So in general, Summicron is the best formulation. Leitz used to have different names depending on the optical formula, but now they just use the names to represent the aperture, so F/1.4 is Summilux, F/2 is Summicron, F2.8 is Elmarit, etc. with slight variations like the short 90/2.8 and 90/4 were Tele-Elmarits.

Skip