Re: [OM] om-10 vs quick auto 310 flash

Subject: Re: [OM] om-10 vs quick auto 310 flash
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 07:39:20 -0800
I have two of these flashes, one from an original OM-2 setup, so here's a bit
more info:

On 17 Jan 00, at 22:21, Gary Reese wrote:

> Luc writes:
>
> 1- Can I use a Quick auto 310 whith my om-10 ?
>
> You can use it, but it is a poor choice since it was made for the
> original OM-1 and OM-2 only (not the OM-1n or OM-2n).
Correct, just don't set it to TTL mode on anything other than the OM-1 or OM-
2 with the correct shoe (shoe 2 I believe).(ie: use Manual or Normal Auto)

> 2- Is 50$ (US) a good deal ?
>
> In what condition???  Try $40 for KEH=Ex+ condition.
Sounds a bit high. I paid $99 CDN (65$ US) for one complete with a bounce
grip. I see them often at camera shows for $40-60 CDN.

> 3a- I thinking about upgrading my om-10 for a om-1, is this a good move,
> or
> is there something better to do ?
>
> You want to upgrade from an automatic to a manual camera?  It is a
> backwards upgrade in the developmental chronology of the OM System. How
> about forwards to the next logical steps: a OM-PC or OM-2S
Unless of course you prefer manual - in this case, the OM-1 is a dream to
use!

A few more notes on the 310:
It won't take NiCad batteries due to older design, and is also only designed
for use with the old Bounce Grip 1, not the newer ones.
Keep in mind that the youngest of the 310s is now about 20 years old, so
chances of getting one with diminished performance is likely. Of the two I
have, only one still works well, but it does work very well indeed - I have
tested it in Auto mode with slide film and a 35mm lens - very accurate
exposure, and good even coverage.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright