editing ethics - Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: editing ethics - Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:27:25 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:14:15 GMT, Tobias Andersson wrote:

>I think it's a bit unethical to edit the images like you do - without
>telling the audience, that what they are seeing, isn't the original, but a
>fake one.

If these were news photos, I'd agree. However, unless some claim of
representational accuracy is made, I think the artist is free to
digitally manipulate photographs in the same way that he manipulates
the image by choice of shutter speed, aperture, POV, focal length,
film, developing, andprinting. It is clear to me that there is no
such thing as a truly objective photograph, as every photograph
represents SOME manipulation of the image.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx