Re: [OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions,...

Subject: Re: [OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions,...
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:14:00 -0500
Frank Ernens wrote:

<snip>
>... Furthermore, only
>the OM-4 and Contaxes have true exposure locks

I can't speak for Contax SLR's but the Contax G2 does not have a "true"
exposure lock, in my opinion (IMO). Since the G2 does not pass aperture
information to the camera, if you vary the aperture after you lock the
exposure, the speed remains the same, so really it is a speed lock, not
an EV lock. One of the nice features of the OM4(t) is that a MEMOed
exposure is a true EV. I would be curious to know if the Contax SLRs
provide a true EV lock?

...As for the shutter ring, I started with a Nikormat, which had a
similar shutter speed ring, so I didn't know any better. In manual mode
I find I tend to reverse my hand to change the shutter speed relative
to focus and aperture. This is a poor habit from using the camera in
mostly auto mode with light weight lenses. A better hand holding
position is with my left thumb pointing to the left, craddling the lens
in the palm of my hand. This makes it easier for me to change shutter
speed, aperture and focus (and zoom on some lenses like the 35-80).

This winter, in 10 degree F weather and using gloves, I could still
operate the camera. My only problem is I tended to bump the aperture
setting when I try to change the shutter speed. One solution I found
was to use latex gloves, which helps give some protection, if it is both
cold and windy, by preventing moisture evaporation.

Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

>The purpose of this email is to in part ask for others experiences
>regadging efficient usage of the spot metering facilites of the OM4
>and at the same time express some thoughts on what I would like see
>changed, should Olympus be convinced to release an OM5,6,.....

I find the OM4(t) to be somewhat inconvenient in manual mode using spot
metering. It would be more convenient if there was a switch to spot
mode - as you suggest. Hence, I mostly use the spot mode in automatic.
In auto mode, I can use spot metering to set the speed to the exposure
I want, trimming it slightly with multi-spot. When I do use manual,
most of the time the light is not changing, so I figure out ahead of
time what I need, via spot or CW metering, then switch to a manual
setting, which behaves like a Memo function. (I found this very useful
when shooting in snow.) This is also the way I use manual mode with a
motor drive. I think the OM4(t) design is weighted in favor of auto
mode. To which I find the OM4(t) controls to be just right for me. Love
at first touch.

>On another note, I recently got my hands on two nice, mint, Zuikos.
... I guess I just have to admitt my sin and re-join the club "Hi, I am
>Thomas - I am a Zuikoholic...." - well, I stayed away from buying new
>zuiko's for almost 2 years....I wonder if I will ever be able to stop
>completely?

How many 35-80/2.8's do you have? If less than two, you only have a
mild case and I wouldn't be too concerned.

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA (USA)