Re: [OM] OM3 vs OM4 Selling Price

Subject: Re: [OM] OM3 vs OM4 Selling Price
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:18:23 -0800
Buddy said, based on his observations and recollections:

<< The OM3 was a couple of hundred dollars more than the OM4 in the mid
1980's. It did not have TTL which turned some people off and many people
just wanted some sort of auto control. So, it cost more and had less
features. Therefore, if I had to guess, the OM4 probably out sold OM3's
1000 or more to one.  Plus the OM3 was only available for 3 or 4 years,
I think 1983 -1986/7.  The 4 started in 1984 to present under Om4,
OM4T(i).
I see used OM4's almost every month.  I can only recall seeing 2 OM3's
in the last 3 or 4 years. >>

Rick responded, based on his information:

<< FWIW - Just a fluke, but there is a December 1987  "Top 25 Cameras"
section from Modern Photography magazine here on my desk.  They list the
body only price of the OM3 @$680 and the OM4T@$860.  Be happy to fax
copies of both pages. >>

My take:

Olympus America first listed the OM-3 and OM-4 as being available in
late summer 1983 (as per the 3-24-1983 price list).  For the entire time
they were sold together they had the same dealer cost: $357.20 low
dealer net (on orders of 6 or more different bodies). The stock of
OM-4's were sold out at the same time the OM-4T was introduced (between
Sept. 1986 and Aug. 1987). The OM-3 and OM-4T were sold concurrently
till July, 1988, with the low dealer net on the OM-3 being $435.20 and
the OM-4T $535.20  Devaluation of the dollar to the yen, circa 1985, was
probably a major factor in the price increase of the OM-3.

Some of this data, from actual USA dealer price lists, may conflict with
the production dates in our FAQ, as follows:

OM-3                               83----86
OM-3Ti                                                     95--
OM-4                                 84----87
OM-4T (OM-4Ti) chr                         87------------------
OM-4T (OM-4Ti) blk                               90------------

Gary Reese