Re: [OM] B/W films....

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W films....
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Jan 2000 10:03:01 +1000
Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net
and spake thusly:

> And even in the field of B/W-films, I have almost exclusively (in the recent
> 10 years or so, at least) been using Ilford FP4/HP5 for the everyday shots and

The original Ilford B+W films are quite similar to Plus-X and Tri-x.

I've compared Tri-X and HP5+ and like 'em both.  (I now use HP5+).

> Ilford 100/400/3200 Delta for the slightly more demanding tasks (count: 5
> types

Again, directly comparable to the Kodak TMAX range.

> However there are other black and white films out there - some with even a
> very
> good reputation (Kodak notably have some which I've heard described in
> positive
> terms). And perhaps I should consider trying - and perhaps getting to use -
> those (would be a good argument for acquireing yet another body, no?
> *grin*).

Well, there's always an OM-2, a parachute, MD2, Kodak Tech Pan, and a
big honker slingshot.  Build your own spy satellite.  Zuiks In Space!

> Seriously, though, I was wondering what black and white films you fellow
> zuikoholics use - and for what and why.

I also use Agfa APX25 for the real fine-grain stuff, although I may go
back to Pan F as I've seen reports that Pan F can get grain as good as
the APX25.

> It is not that I am not pleased with the Ilfords, as everything they have
> strong and weak spots and from experience I've learned many of those. I just

Stick to what you know, I say.

I like the Ilford stuff because they don't jerk the rug out under a
film just because it doesn't sell millions, and Ilford data sheets
have data for other films/developers.   Try finding info on using
non-kodak film/dev on a kodak data sheet.

That kind of "good corporate citizen" image tipped the scales for me
when I was dithering between the two.

> wonder if I am missing out something BIG by not using some other type of film.
> And rather than buying a batch of eacy to test, I'd rather ask you people whom

Stick with what you know.

cjb

--
| Christopher Biggs email:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Linux: The choice of a GNU  |
| Stallion Technologies, Queensland, Australia |        Generation.          |