[OM] image manipulation, digital or otherwise

Subject: [OM] image manipulation, digital or otherwise
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:39:04 -0800 (PST)
regarding image manipulation...

If you are making an image as art, you don't have to say how you made it.

If you are claiming an image is nature photography, it is unethical to
manipulate the image and pass it off as a nature shot-- it should be
labelled as manipulated nature image.

The same goes for photojournalism.  If you claim something is a candid,
then it should not be posed.  If you claim that an image is a piece of
news or a capturing of an event, then it should not be manipulated to
something which is not an accurate representation of the person or event.

Manipulation happens before an image is put into digital form, though.
use of extremes in focal length manipulate images, and people manipulate
the subjects.  I once read an article by Jim Zuckerman (who I respect
very much generally) about use of color materials.  He was advocating
images that "make a bold statement with color" if you want to market
color images.  He then gave some examples of his own photography.
One of the images was a very green grassy field with a little bit of
blue sky above it.  In the middle of the field was a sizable, bright
orange flower all by itself.  He said something about happening upon
this lonely flower etc.  I don't believe this for a second-- I think
the shot was "posed" by moving the flower there for the shot.

Another example: Alfred Eisenstadt, a famous photojournalist who
photographed for Life Magazine, has a very famous photograph, V-J Day,
that shows a sailer kissing a nurse.  This was presented as photojournalism,
or Eisenstadt capturing the moment of a sailer and nurse who were strangers
in the street becoming so excited by the end of the war that they celebrated
with a long kiss.  However, after Eisenstadt died, a the fellow who was
the sailer in that picture came forward and said that the whole thing was
posed and setup.

Another case was a woman sitting at a sidewalk cafe in some US city with
a group of people was photographed without knowing it by some photographer.
The image was made in B&W and a color filter was used to reduce contrast
between the woman's blouse and skin.  This would typically be accomplished
by using a filter the same color as the blouse to lighten it.  The image
was a profile of the woman in a group at a table, and it made it look like
the woman was going topless out in public.  The image was published in
a book of street scenes by the photographer, and the woman sued the
photographer and published and won a sizable judgment.

On the other hand, nobody cries foul when a nature photographer uses
an orange filter for a color image of a sunset.

Joseph