Re: [OM] image manipulation, digital or otherwise

Subject: Re: [OM] image manipulation, digital or otherwise
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:24:04 -0500
In the practice of our craft, we manipulate *everything*.  Or is it control?
Either works for me.  We make choices, beginning with picking up the camera
in the first place, fitting a lens on it, loading film, threading a filter
and cocking the shutter.  Then, we point it at something.  Hand held?
Rigidly mounted?  Shutter speed fast or slow?  F/stop wide or small?  Press
the shutter release.....exactly when?  Motor drive?  Bracket exposures?
Multiple exposures?

Manipulation or control?

Then there is the processing of the latent image.  Introduce chemicals.
Which process?  At what temperature?  For how long?  Agitation method?
Final washing - is the water pure or mineral hardened?  Post wash solutions?

Manipulation or control?

If the end deliverable is a digital image, and one can scan film directly,
then there is the scanning process itself.  If not, then a print must first
be made, re-introducing a set of variables similar to the film process
again.  What paper?  Which process, temp, agitation technique, processing
time...??  And then, finally perform the scan.  Accept the software defaults
or force a raw scan?  What pixel depth?  What resolution?  Does the
hardware/software adjust to specific film types?  Do you select something
different?

The creation on an image requires dozens of small choices and decisions.
Some we choose to perform ourselves (where to point the camera), others we
happily give to others (film developing).  But this does not change the fact
we made a choice.  If one chooses to control the entire process from end to
delightful end, and makes any tiny adjustment from the published guidlines,
is it manipulation or control?  To my way of thinking, its both because in
this context the two terms mean the same thing.  I control/manipulate every
aspect I have at my disposal to achieve the desired result - to share with
the viewer what my mind's eye envisioned.  We have so many tools; use them!
No disclaimer expressed or implied.