[OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers

Subject: [OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 02:05:29 -0800
Shawn,

I realized that NT does not support USB and serial is just too slow.  So
for about $200 you can get a SCSI card reader.  The SCSI readers are
very fast!  Much faster than a a USB. I would have got one of those but
I've just got too many SCSI devices hanging here.  An assosiate has a
Fire Wire card on his new Mac and it works very fast too.  It seems the
card readers are taking over though.  Now there is a brand new digital
lab opening her in Del Mar, CA, which has a card reader on it's print
processor.  So I can get regular photo prints (4x6 inch for 30 cents
each) off the Camedia 2500.  I would say that card readers rule.  They
really are the digital film of the future. Cabling the camera to the
computer  sucks.  It's slow and inconvient. Believe me you will not want
a digital camera that does not write to memory cards.  These memory
cards are used in many other type of devices so the card reader is a
must have.  I'm sure they will be standard on most computers in the next
year or two.  They really will make life easy for digital photograhers.
File formats are standard so cross platform is no problem.  I won't be
suprised to see capacities exceed 256mb in the next couple of years. It
seems that 64mb is now not too uncommon and I've heard that a 128mb card
exists. Try loading 128mb over a serial cable.  Well I'm obviously
really happy with the card readers and I have not heard  of too many
problems from users.  So I think the card readers are the best thing to
come along in the last several years.

Phillip Franklin