Re: [OM] Eisenstadt

Subject: Re: [OM] Eisenstadt
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:31:54 -0600
 From Eisenstaedt himself :

artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles1997/Articles0397/AEisenstaedt.html

>>>VJ Day in Times Square on August 15, 1945 provided the opportunity
for Eisenstaedt to photograph the image for which he is possibly most
famous. "I
saw a sailor running along the street grabbing any and every girl in
sight." he explained. "Whether she was a grandmother, stout, thin, old,
didn't make any
difference. I was running ahead of him with my Leica looking back over
my shoulder...Then suddenly, in a flash, I saw something white being
grabbed. I
turned around and clicked the moment the sailor kissed the nurse."<<<

www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/gizmo/npr.html

>>>Linda Wertheimer also solved a mystery on the air. She interviewed
the man and the woman who were captured in a famous photograph, "The
Kiss" by
Alfred Eisenstadt, on Aug. 14, 1945. The photo made the cover of Life
magazine.

The famous kiss between an unknown nurse and a sailor was just a random
event that took place in a crowded and jubilant Times Square. It was
only in
1980 that the nurse was identified and in 1995 the sailor was
identified.

She interviewed Carl Muscarello of Florida and Edith Shain of Santa
Monica on the 50th anniversary of V-J Day, the day that marked victory
over Japan
during World War II. Muscarello, a retired police officer, recalled the
kiss: "I just walked over and grabbed her and very gently planted a
long, luscious kiss
on her beautiful lips...and when I was out of breath I just stepped back
and ... drifted off into the crowd, ran off and kissed a few more ladies
and got on the
subway and went back to my home in Brooklyn." <<<

V-J Day Photograph Controversy  Article

http://www.pathfinder.com/photo/gallery/arts/eisie/vjday/960826.htm

yours for your editifiction and education only,

Garry D. Lewis