[OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers

Subject: [OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:39:42 -0800
Shawn,

I think the Camedia 2500 is a great little digital camera for the
average P&S shooter. It has a great feel and it seems to work about as
good or better than any consumer digital on the market. The only problem
I see with this is the batteries don't last too long. I wish Olympus
would start using the lithium ion batteries.  We also have a 2 megapixel
Fuji which has the lithium ion battery and I believe it's several
hundred dollars cheaper than the 2500.  Also floating around here is an
Agfa mega pixel camera and a Nikon Cool Pix 950, personally my least
favorite of the digitals floating around here.  If I actually had to
spend my own dollars I would be tempted to take the Fuji for less than
$800.  Otherwise I would wait until the 2500 comes down under $1000.
Since I don't have to pay for the batteries I just use the 2500 when I
get a chance.  Mostly I just use it for shooting images for QTVR and the
like. I am going to try shooting some portraits with it in a studio next
time I can get a cute girl to pose.  However in an institution like a
school I would lean towards that top of the line 2 mega pixel Fuji.  I
really think it is a quality product for the price. As far as the
operation skills necessary to use them, I think the Fuji's OS is a
little more intuitive but that might just be for me. So far none of the
digitals I have used has taken me over 15 minutes to learn especially
when they leave the manual with the camera. For some reason every one
around here refuses to look at the documentation; they just as me how to
use these so I sometimes have to give lessons.  First time users seem to
learn the Fuji better, and old time pro photographers are quicker to
learn the 2500.  Don't ask me why. Just to note, I heard some very good
things about Epson's latest & greatest digital cam. Again hope this
helps.

Phillip Franklin