Re: [OM] Film speeds and proper exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Film speeds and proper exposure
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Jan 2000 10:36:08 +1000
Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I've been coming across a bunch of wierd "advice" regarding exposure these
> days.  I guess it's because I've been reading.  People get pretty crazy
> regarding how they "rate" their films.  "I always shoot Velvia at ASA
> 32..." for instance.  Or how about this gem (figuritive):  "I rate TMax 400
> at 200 and exposure compensate -1 stop to prevent the highlights
> from going."

I my opinion, how anyone else rates a film is pretty much irrelvant.
I start at the recommendation and experiment from there.

<rant>
As for people systematically overexposing Velvia, furrfu, if
they don't like high contrast and mega saturation, why are they paying
$15 a roll for the stuff?  Snob value?
</rant>

> In the B&W world I am finding exposure techniques that are downright scary.
>  Most advice I've seen says to underrate the film by as much as a whole
> stop (overexposing the film).

There's a school of thought that "All manufacturers lie their ass off
about speed for marketing purposes".  The same people probably keep
their film in a pyramid so it lasts longer.

Anyway if Kodak had told the truth about film speed, the Zapruder film
would have been clear enough to show that Badge Man was Elvis with a
CIA isssue laser pulse rifle.

> My technique is to "know your film."  Probably the biggest reason why I
> have yet to break from my Velvia/Provia usage and go Kodak which changes
> Ektachrome emulsions about as often as a hillbilly buys chew.  Know the
> exposure latitude of the film and know exactly where shadow detail is lost
> and where the highlights burn out.  Instead of playing games with film
> speed ratings, I exposure compensate based on the scene being
> photographed.

Hallelujah!  Hear the word!

"It Works For Me" shall be the whole of the law.

cjb

--
| Christopher Biggs email:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Linux: The choice of a GNU  |
| Stallion Technologies, Queensland, Australia |        Generation.          |