Re: [OM] B/W films....

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W films....
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 02:23:34 -0700
On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> >Subjective? Yep, I confess I am....
>
> Hey, nothing wrong with that - it's surely the whole point of this game :-)

Yes, isn't it? While gear and zuiko's are nice, the point is to get something
with an aesthetic value which one appreciates....:)

> >That is rather easy, actually. As a rough rule-of-thumb, I do never
> >use FP4 or HP5 if there is a chance that I might need to make a print
> >larger than 13cmx18cm.
>
> I don't find the Delta films to have much finer grain, but I generally use
> ID-11. Now I wouldn't call it "fancy" but it does provide a good compromise
> between grain and apparent sharpness. I have never used Ultrafin, so I can't
> comment on its qualities.

I agree on you with respect to your comments on ID-11. It's a good developer
which does do something good for the films. Ultrafin is - if I should describe
it in few words - "an average product, available in bulks everywhere at a low
price". I never use my negative developer more than once, since my experience
and understanding is that doing so may be on expense of quality. And for most
things, I find Ultrafin to perform according to expectations. However when I
want something "better" (for those "possibly-once-in-a-lifetime" shots), I go
for ID-11 (I've been told to try "Tetenal Ultrafin SF", which is said to be as
good or better than ID-11. Anyone with experience to share on this?)

> I've heard that Delta 100 retains FP4's 'look'
> with finer grain and comparable edge definition, so I will have to give it a
> try sometime. There is always APX25 if you want really big enlargements...
>
> >One may ask, then, why use FP4 and HP5 atall.
>
> I know there are marketing people at Ilford who are baffled that there is
> still huge demand for these films. I'm sure it's not due to the price
> difference. Progress doesn't suit everyone all of the time, but if you find
> a combination that suits you, just go ahead and take some photos.

I guess - but it has to be a guess - that the reason mainly is "habit".
The names are well-known, so that's what you buy. When ordering in
bulk from a mail catalogue (as I imagine that many schools and other larger
consumers may do), then ordering some familiar name is probably preferable over
having to "think" about new products.

On a side-note....what is actually the difference between the old "FP4" and the
new "FP4+" (similary with the HP5 and HP5+)? Other than the name, that is?

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)