Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:29:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Phillip Franklin wrote:

> Ian & others,
>
> The term "mere mortal" is referring to those who are unfortunately  born
> with less talent for seeing the imaginative than the great photographers
> of our time.

Phillip,

I have to confess that I was being more than a little facetious about
the literal meaning of your original comment (i.e. if we mere mortals
can't see it, why should we accept it and risk being taken for a ride
like the emperor & his new clothes?).  Sorry about that, I know I
shouldn't do it but sometimes I just can't resist.  Anyway (and I'm not
being facetious now) thanks for an intelligent reply to a silly comment.

> I think I have a very confident easy going style with professional
> models and thus I sometimes get better stuff than those photographers
> who are not as comfortable when shooting in a studio. As photographers
> covering events or shooting posed models in the studio, the
> photographers presence will affect the outcome. Many people just like
> to ham it up for the camera ... is that posing?

I've never been any good at all at getting people to pose for me, which
is why I prefer shooting musicians playing.  I just let them get on with
it and wait for the right moment.  Sometimes I even manage to capture
it.

> As far as ethics goes .... unless a person attempts to manipulate an
> image for any thing such as phony claims as to distort the obvious truth
> for gain ... I don't think ethics should even be discussed here.

I've been having a quiet chuckle to myself about this thread, because
there's a picture in my unofficial gallery section that is, technically,
a composite of two images, though it's very hard to spot.  I'm not going
to let on which it is either.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |