RE: [OM] Eisenstadt

Subject: RE: [OM] Eisenstadt
From: John Hudson <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 19:21:42 -0800
At 09:06 PM 20-01-00  Thursday  +0800, Wayne Harridge  wrote:
John H wrote:

> I read somewhere that the famous shot of the US marines
> raising the stars
> and stripes on Iwo Jima in WW2 was a very carefully posed and
> stage managed
> affair.

Yes, I read an article in a magazine about that recently.  Somebody was
doing a series on famous photographers and had interviewed the bloke who
shot it.

If anyone is interested I could probably find the article and post a
reference.

Please do; I'd be interested.

Another stage managed photo which came to epitomize the moment was of the one time Field Marshall complete with corn cob pipe stepping ashore upon his return to the Philippines after having been awarded the Medal of Honor for retreating some time previously!!

jh