Re: [OM] B/W films....

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W films....
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:11:10 -0800
On 20 Jan 00, at 2:23, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

> > I've heard that Delta 100 retains FP4's 'look'
> > with finer grain and comparable edge definition, so I will have to give it a
> > try sometime. There is always APX25 if you want really big enlargements...
> >
> > >One may ask, then, why use FP4 and HP5 atall.
> >
> > I know there are marketing people at Ilford who are baffled that there is
> > still huge demand for these films. I'm sure it's not due to the price
> > difference. Progress doesn't suit everyone all of the time, but if you find
> > a combination that suits you, just go ahead and take some photos.
> >

> I guess - but it has to be a guess - that the reason mainly is "habit".
> The names are well-known, so that's what you buy. When ordering in
> bulk from a mail catalogue (as I imagine that many schools and other larger
> consumers may do), then ordering some familiar name is probably preferable
> over
> having to "think" about new products.

I've used mostly FP4/FP4+ for about 15 years, mainly because it is so
flexible and is capable of acheiving quite fine grain and good sharpness. I
tried Delta 100 & 400 compared with FP4+/HP5+, and found the Delta films
to be less flexible to pushing and pulling (using Microphen, ID-11 and
Microdol-X for the various tests). I did find that both Deltas perform very
well
at or near there rated speed, but fall apart very quickly when pushed.

As a result, I still use FP4+ bulk rolled - mostly at EI 100 with ID-11, but
often
at EI 250-400 with Microphen when I need more speed. My favourite shot in
recent years was made at EI 400 with FP+/Microphen - I have it enlarged to
11x14" in my office and the grain is very acceptable.