Re: [OM] OM-1 At -12F and The Luner Eclipse -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 At -12F and The Luner Eclipse -Reply
From: Jim Mueller <webnik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 17:54:15 -0600
First off, the temp was really a +3. I quoted a -13 temp but that was really
the wind chill. I thought I better clear that up.

I used Michael Covington's book "Astrophotography For The Amateur" as a
guide for exposures. I stopped down to f/5.6 on all my lenses. Shutter
speeds varied from 1/125 to 1 sec. I did nothing to compensate for the
earth's rotation. According to Covington's book, an *unguided* exposure of 1
sec will yield sharp images on lenses from 180mm - 350mm.

I recommend this book because it gives exposure times on a wide range of
celestial objects. He also gives a table of the longest possible *unguided*
exposures for various focal lengths that yield critically sharp images.
There are also many useful formulas as well.

jim mueller

Scott Nelson wrote:

> So, what did you use for exposure settings? How do you handle the moon's
> movement across the sky?
>
> <<I am photographing the Lunar Eclipse tonight>>

jim mueller
MP3 Home Studio Tech Support