Re: [OM] Considering switch to Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Considering switch to Oly
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 06:30:30 -0500 (EST)

   This might seem like OM-heresy, but a few thoughts on switching
to Olympus...

  Most people "fall" into a camera system for any of a multitude of
reasons. Reputation, someone you know is happy with one, the guy
at the camera store said it was good, etc. Few of us get to try
a system for a few rolls to see how it works in our hands, for our
applications, and most importantly, for our vision.
  After one undergoes the transition and becomes a photographer ---
and I would say that point is crossed when this madness becomes
a significant part of your life --- the realization happens that
you really have a way of seeing that is your own. Hardware, film,
chemicals everything is only a means towards realizing that vision
unto the print (slide, file, etc).
  The ergonomics of cameras are a big part of this. Personal,
idiosyncratic maybe even irrational, they are of paramount importance.
The lenses are crucial to the actualization of one's vision. There's no
"right or wrong", no absolute parameter that makes an optic good for
everyone. But the right one can provide a burst of synergy to
one's vision. It might be a very expensive and esoteric chunk of
glass, or a humble one. The idea that any brand's lenses are simply
better than another's is not a sound one.
   Before "going Olympus", think and feel carefully, and go and fondle a
few cameras, check out lenses, look at photographs and then take the leap.
IMO, it is a leap best taken initially by purchasing a used body and
a few lenses, just to get the "feel" of the system, their optical flavor,
and yet be in a position to be able to recoup the money should the
stuff fail to work for you.

                                 Just my .02's worth...

                                  *= Doris Fang =*