Re: EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)

Subject: Re: EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 06:23:37 -0500
At 07:54 AM 1/23/00 +0000, you wrote:
A splokesman for EBay talked on BBC Radio 4 (the best talk radio station in the world BTW) 2 days ago on the subject of the sale of Nazi and Concentration Camp "memorabilia". He was asked why EBay was associated with such a despicable trade; the answer was "..EBay is only a listing service, we cannot control what is sold through this service ...". This is a paraphrase BTW.

I'm not sure therefore that EBay has the inclination to police its operation. It would certainly add to its costs and reduce its profitability.

Too bad they didn't have the balls to say there is nothing illegal about such items. That's a big slippery slope... once you say no more Nazi items, then it's no more African-American memorabilia, no more occupied Japan items, no more homoerotic works like Mapplethorpe, Van Gloeden (just sold a book of his on ebay), etc etc.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at