Re: EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)

Subject: Re: EBAY anti-fraud actions (was [OM] ebay loser)
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:48:29 +0000
> Too bad they didn't have the balls to say there is nothing illegal about
> such items. That's a big slippery slope... once you say no more Nazi
items,
> then it's no more African-American memorabilia, no more occupied Japan
> items, no more homoerotic works like Mapplethorpe, Van Gloeden (just sold
> book of his on ebay), etc etc.
>

> ________________________________
> Regards,
> Denton Taylor

Yes Denton, you have a point but ...

The trade was not in Nazi items per se, but in products from the concentration camps - including parts of people.

There is probably no point in continuing this discussion because you and I will probably not agree; although we have many interests in common, we in Great Britain *sometimes* have a different viewpoint about politics and society in general. One of the things that I find most confusing about the First (or Fifth?) amendment is that freedom of expression is considered sacrosanct almost regardless of how much suffering is caused as a result of that expression.

I'm pretty sure that the Christian education in State Schools versus no religion at all argument is wound up in this same debate. (We were lucky enough to find a good Catholic private school in Tampa when we lived there in 88-90).

So you see, we may as well stop before we start.

More to the point who or what is Van Gloeden?

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx