Re: [OM] ............. manual flash..........

Subject: Re: [OM] ............. manual flash..........
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jan 2000 12:42:38 +1000
claire <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Dear friends.......
> I use a Metz 32CT7 on my OM4Ti......
>
> The other day I took pics of Christmas celeb in my church..... I went to the
> back of the church where there was a balcony offering a look-down view of
> the sanctuary..... I shot with flash on "MAN".....

OK, assume your Metz 32CT7 has a GN of 32 (metres, ISO 100/21).

So with 400 film your effective GN is 64.  You needed about f/2.
Unless your distance guess is way off, or my assumed GN is wrong, you
shouldn't have got overexposure.

> Days later, the printer said this was 'over'........
>
> I used 'MAN" cos I thot the distance was too far....... from where I was ,

Manual can't give you any more power than auto.   Manual always fires
at full power.  Auto fires any anwhere from full power to almost nothing.

> it was about 30 (thirty ! ) meters to the pulpit.......Film was Kodak 400
> colour..........
>
> Question, when and under what circumstances do U use the "man' button on the
> flash ?

When "subject failure" will cause automatic flash to give incorrect
results.   When you're using a flash meter to determine exposure.
When you're beating your head against the wall trying to do daylight
fill[1] with Olympus gear.

cjb

[1] My number one choice for "most frustrating facility missing from
        the OM line."
--
 Christopher J Biggs \ chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx \ Vice-Pope Torture & Indulgences
 Stallion Technologies\ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology