Re: [OM] .......... Cairns, Australia ..........

Subject: Re: [OM] .......... Cairns, Australia ..........
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jan 2000 12:55:12 +1000
claire <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Dear friends........
> Can anyone point me to a good camera store there ?
> (interested in OM and Leica eqpt)

I lived in Cairns for about 12 years, and was last there when I
visited my parents in Dec 1998.

There aren't any real "pro" stores in Cairns, at least, not when I
lived there.

"Smiths Camera" in Lake St (on the mall) is the largest store in town.
I bought my first camera (my tired old OM-1, for $90) there in 1990.

There's a small hole-in-the wall store called "Phototechnical
Services" in an arcade that runs between Lake and Grafton Sts, across
the road from Smiths.   The arcade is called "city arcade" I think.
They do repairs and servicing, and have a large (for Cairns) selection
of used gear.

Lab wise, I was happy with the slides done by "Northern Photo
Express", a minilab who do 2 hr slides (again, on the mall in Lake
St.).  I noticed in 1998 that there are some newer pro labs a few
blocks north, but I never used them.

HTH
        Chris.

p.s. Check out Peter Lik's gallery (ilfochromes from 6x17cm panoramas)
        when you're there.

--
     __
    /  \
     ||chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
One more infobahn cliche couldn't hurt...