Re: [OM] wildlife lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] wildlife lenses
From: george <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:59:02 -0800

Joseph wrote:

> ================================
> The 250/2 is one of the best lenses on the planet.  Coupled with a 1.4x
> it's a 'B+ to A'-level 350/2.8
> ===============================
>
> no arguments on quality, just it is a little short for wildlife
> the 350/2.8 would be a better wildlife lens as you
> can couple it with 1.4x or 2x to get 490/4 and 700/5.6.  about 500mm
> is the shortest lens in the ballpark for small birds, and
> that's the longest you can get with 250mm + 2x.

Yeah, for small birds I agree. 500 minimum (or 490, but let's call it
500)  While in Hawaii, I came upon two photographers photo'ing a couple
of beautiful finch-sized birds in trees at probably 50 feet.  They both
had EOS, one had a 500/4, the other a 500/4.5 and both were using hot
shoe flash with BIG home-made fresnel boosters. (This would not have
produced a very large bird on the film for sure)  I thought about
joining them, but there was very little daylight left.  Had I joined
them, I would have used the following setup: 4T with Motor drive 2;
350/2.8 with 1.4x = 500/4; T32 w/ fresnel zoom adapter.  How much
advantage would they have had?  Motor capabilities? No, MD2 is just
fine, thanks.  Camera capabilities? Well, I dunno all the bells&whistles
the EOS has, and of course it depends on which EOS.  I do know the major
limiting factor for me would have been requiring the use of the flash.
Why?  First, they had those monster fresnel systems, I had the Oly zoom
adapter, which provides max boost to 135mm. This would have helped, but
not a great deal.  This also, of course, would have forced my shutter
speed to 1/60 or below. And forced my aperture accordingly. Had the bird
been in better light, I could have used spotmetering and no flash.
Given some prep time, next time I could have a homemade fresnel to
couple with an F280.  At this point, the difference is autofocus (and
perhaps a higher guide number for the Canon flash).

  when lenses are
> this heavy, you can only expect to carry one of them, so you
> want to think about the 3 focal lengths you get from lens alone
> and lens + 1.4X and lens + 2x.  a lens a little longer than 250mm
> gets you in good range of both mammals and birds.  so I'm not
> surprised you sold the 250mm lens and bought the 350mm lens
> for wildlife work.

I didn't say that's why I sold the 250.  That was a factor, though.  I
wanted a longer focal length for astrophotography work as well.

  I think that makes my original point, that the 250mm lens
> is a tad short for wildlife work.

For some wildlife work, yes.  Would I buy a 250 specifically for
wildlife? Only if I was going to work in a game park or preserve when I
know I'd be able to get close.

  that doesn't mean you can't get
> a wildlife shot with it, but that it isn't an ideal choice and
> at the price, you want to get an ideal choice.
>
> =============
> The point is, you don't always need a 600/4
> for wildlife.
>
> If you do need something in that range, how about a Zuiko 350/2.8 + 1.4x
> = 500/4 ?
> ======================
>
> Actually, 490mm, but who's counting?
>
> No, you don't need a 600/4 often, that's why lenses in the 300mm to 400mm
> range are the most popular focal lengths for wildlife work.
>
> But, try filling the frame of a 35mm slide with an image of a warbler, and
> you'll see why 350*1.4 = 490mm (or for that matter 500mm) is too short.
> a 350/2.8 is a reasonable wildlife lens with 1.4x and 2x as you get 350mm
> for large mammals and 490mm and 700mm for birds.  But there are some shots
> that need f/4 for shutter speed to freeze action, and 600mm to fill
> the frame, and that's why 600/4's exist.  A 600/4 isn't a lens I'd
> ever buy, but it would be nice to be able to rent one.

Agreed. There is a list member who has a Sigma 500/4.5 for his Oly.  I
think it has a matched converter too.  Would it be better than a 350/2.8
w/Zuiko 2X?  I dunno.   But if your main point is there's no Zuiko 600/4
to rent, you are 100orrect.

george