[OM] bill of rights (and eBay?)

Subject: [OM] bill of rights (and eBay?)
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:47:19 -0800
Jay & others,

Yes, I agree it is off topic too.  However I think it is important to note that
the Bill of
Rights is not subject to Congressional appeal. Our international list members
should be made
aware of the significance of this part of our Constitution. As to how this
applies to eBay
is to say the least, far fetched. eBay is a private business organization and
can set
whatever policy it deems best for it's business.

I have said this before and I will say it again. eBay offers an excellent
opportunity to
those who want to scam and defraud innocent buyers. Certainly not all of the
eBay sellers
are scammers, though there is much risk in purchasing camera equipment this
way.  I have
never had a problem purchasing high quality used OM gear from both local stores
and high
quality mail order stores.  There is plenty of most items out there since Oly
produced so
much of it for so long.  OM gear has probably enjoyed one of the longest
production runs in
modern 35mm history. Just as an example, I purchased a truly mint Zuiko 35-70
f3.5/4.5 just
a couple of weeks ago from a very local dealer for $69.00 cash.  Since I have a
the f3.6 and
the f4.0 AF(collectors item?) of this lens I really did not need it but it was
just too
mint, too damn light weight, and too damn cheap (even for me) to not want to
take advantage
of this deal.  I think whoever priced it was under the impression that it was
the same as
the newer Consina 35-70 lens. But who knows maybe they just wanted to move it
fast.  It
looks and feels brand new. I recently saw one of these go on eBay for over
$150.00. Mine had
a no risk 10 day full return privilege. Can't beat that.

Phillip Franklin