Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Metering for fireworks
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:24:13 +1100
> The first and only time that I've shot fireworks was on new year's eve
just
> past. I set my OM2n to "auto", with +1 or +2 compensation and the 50mm
lens
> to F2.8, or maybe wide open I don't recall. With 800 speed film I was able
> to hand hold the camera just fine and the shots came out pretty good. I
used
> + compensation because I didn't want the fireworks to come out 18 0rey,
but
> bright and somewhat over exposed like they're supposed to be against a
black
> sky.

I use under exposure when photographing fireworks. Think of it this way. The
camera will wantto make the black sky gray. You want it black. So you want
less exposure. So you under expose. - compensation.

Snow, you want it white. The camera wants it grey. So you need to over
expose.

My typical settings are under expose 1 1/3 to 1 2/3 for foreworks, and
overexpose 1 stop for snow. If I've got time I take a meter reading off my
hand and open up one stop for snow. If it is pretty glary, I take my hand
reading. Generally this comes out to one stop over expose. This is what we
used in Antarctica.

Foxy