Re: [OM] wildlife lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] wildlife lenses
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 06:39:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, george wrote:

> of beautiful finch-sized birds in trees at probably 50 feet.  They both
> had EOS, one had a 500/4, the other a 500/4.5 and both were using hot
> shoe flash with BIG home-made fresnel boosters. (This would not have
> produced a very large bird on the film for sure)  I thought about
> joining them, but there was very little daylight left.  Had I joined
> them, I would have used the following setup: 4T with Motor drive 2;
> 350/2.8 with 1.4x = 500/4; T32 w/ fresnel zoom adapter.  How much
> advantage would they have had?

  A significant one, if the birds were in fairly strong light. While
you'd have to have been synching at 1/60th, they could have been
at 1/250th, thus buying further reach from the flash, and in the case of
some birds hovering or in any kind of motion, more image sharpness.
 It's one of the major shortcomings of the OM line.
  If you look at the NIkon & Canon line-up, you'll see that there
are inexpensive amateur cameras with much pro potential. The way
the manufacturers draw lines of demarcation for marketing to pros
is via the synch speed. Most amateur cameras go to 1/125th. Most pro
units jump to 1/250th. Of course, max fill-flash range isn't of
importance to everybody.

                                        *= Doris Fang =*