Re: [OM] F280 flash battery drain

Subject: Re: [OM] F280 flash battery drain
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:31:56 -0800
In a message dated 1/23/00 Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< My F280 flash drains at 3.5 mA/hour with the switch in the OFF
position!
Naturally, this means I can't keep it loaded with cells.

Anyone have an F280 circuit diagram and can tell me where this drain is
likely to be occurring?

Any other insight list members may be able to offer would be welcome! >>

In a word, yup! I have had one of these since new (my ex-wife had an
OM77 and a couple lenses and this flash...all but the flash was stolen
after we broke up and she gave me the F280). This sucker drains
batteries like there is no tomorrow, and has since day 1. You _must_
remove the batteries between usage for all but the shortest periods of
time. The only sure fire fix I can think of offhand would be to series
wire a small power switch with one of the battery output connections. An
ugly idea at best I fear. It is possible that there is a mod to fix
this...John?

On this topic, since I don't have an OM4Ti or any plans to obtain one
anytime soon...is there much of a market for these? I'm thinking I
should sell/trade it and get something a bit more suitable for use with
a OM2S or older OM4 (T32? or ???). Thoughts?

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com