Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:21:19 -0600
I'm not sure what the origional question was, but we sure digressed into an
ultimate wishlist of unobtanium lenses!  Maybe my kit could be used as a
general guide to what the average "family man" could attain for relatively
few bucks.

24/2.8 (Mine is SC).  I'd prefer to upgrade to a MC or even get a Tokina
AT-X 18-35?/2.8 if they ever decided to make it in OM mount.

35/shift.  Don't bother until you have gotten some other basics first.
Great lens though.

35-70/2.8 Zoom (Mine is a Tokina AT-X).  There are several zuikos to choose
from.  Great "normal lens."  I got rid of my 50/1.4 when I discovered that
my zoom took better pictures.  This is my "wedding" lens.

100/2.8.  SWEET!!!!  Sharp, fantastic bokah (those out of focus
characteristics), small, lightweight.  This lens is a real gem (figurative
and literal [definition 2]).  I'd only part with it in exchange for a 90/2.

200/2.8.  Mine is a Soligar.

2X teleconverter.  Mine is a brand-x.
---

Ok, what should you budget is limited people aspire to get?  (In order of
importance)

50/1.8  Cheap, sharp, compact, normal.  Actually one of the best Zuikos
available.

24mm or 28mm 2.8 lens.  The 28/2.8 is relatively easy to find (don't bother
with the 28/3.5 as it is a vignetting piece of junk hardly worthy of being
called a Zuiko!  Ok, maybe not THAT bad).  I personally prefer the 24/2.8.
Any good lens wider than 24mm is too expensive for us budget limited
people.  The 35/2.8 is also a good lens, but is a duplicate with zooms and
the 50/1.8

100/2.8  This is one lens that you won't ever regret buying.  I've made
more money with this lens than any other piece of camera equipment.
Portraits are beautiful, scenics come alive, and the lens really is a
bright 2.8 with good contrast.  With extension tubes, this lens does make a
respectable macro lens, although not flat fielded.  (mine varies about 3mm
in the focus plain at around 1:2).  Small enough to fit in a pocket (not
tight jeans pockets)

200/4  Without hesitation, this is a good, compact, fast lens with
respectable results.  The 200/5 is cheaper but is too slow to be very
enjoyable.

300/4.5  Lovely bokah.  This lens "snaps" into focus like nothing else I've
ever seen.  A bit soft when on a teleconverter and as slow as I'd ever go
in any lens.

Beyond this, I'd look at ZUIKO zooms in the 35-70 or 28-80 range and 70-210
(or whatever) range.  Critical issue is lens brightness.  I personally
would never get a zoom slower than 4.5 (fixed, not variable).  I've had the
Zuiko 100-200/5 which was pretty murky and a Soligar 75-260 which was a
terrific lens (believe it or not) but a little slow and HEAVY.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend teleconverters.  It would be better to get
the longer lens than try to use a teleconverter.  Everyone on this list
swears by the Zuiko 1.4TC, but it is rare, and pricey.

I got by for a long time with a 35/2.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8.  Frankly, that
was probably my most satisfying time as a photographer as I really got to
learn those focal lengths inside and out.  I would suggest, though, that
the most important thing to remember with purchasing of lenses is that
"cheap, brand-x lenses" are no substitute for the real thing.  Instead of
getting a whole harem of old, heavy, fuzzy lenses get fewer better lenses.

Finally, ...hey, quiet in the peanut gallery!  Finally, I'd like to share
my Zuiko wish list, just in case some rich list member is in a giving mood.
 Denton?  <g>

18mm
21mm
24/2 (to replace my 24/2.8)
35/shift (already own it)
35-70/2.8 zoom (already own it)
50/2
90/2
100/2.8 (ha! You thought I'd part with it, eh?)
180/2  (Ok, ok, I'd be satisfied with the 200/4)
250/2  (In my "car-trunk" kit)
300/4.5
350/2  (Also another "car-trunk" item--you don't backpack with these lenses)
1.4 and 2X Zuiko teleconverters.

Ken Norton
Image66