[OM] Dis of the 28F3.5

Subject: [OM] Dis of the 28F3.5
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 00:09:29 EST
In a message dated 2000-01-24 11:25:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
image66@xxxxxxx writes:

<< 24mm or 28mm 2.8 lens.  The 28/2.8 is relatively easy to find (don't bother
 with the 28/3.5 as it is a vignetting piece of junk hardly worthy of being
 called a Zuiko!  Ok, maybe not THAT bad).  >>

Lots of people on this list dislike that lens, but I've found it to be my
favorite 28 of all time--over the 28F2.0MC, a Canon 28F2.0SSC, a Canon
28F2.8SC and the highly regarded GR1. Unfortunately I sold it,  but I still
have some super sharp Kodachromes to vouch for it, with no sigh of vignetting
that I can see--and I see plenty in the GR1!

Is this manufacturing variability?  I can understand that sharpness varies,
but would be surprised that light falloff would also vary! I also remember
that the Modern Photography review of the 28F3.5 stated that the lens they
reviewed consistantly underexposed a half stop, but I never made such a
correction myself. Is it just me?

Alex