Re: [OM] TRI-X or T-MAX 400

Subject: Re: [OM] TRI-X or T-MAX 400
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 Jan 2000 19:43:42 +1000
John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> For B&W, it used to be Tri-X all the way--in HC110, 1 to 31.  I've been out
> of it for awhile, so don't know about T-MAX.  A lot of people seem to like
> it.  But I got beautiful 11x14's with Tri-X, processed right.

T-Max does magic with grain structure to give finer grain at the same
speed.   The hidden cost is that it's less "tolerant" of exposure and
processing variations.  Some people consider that the T-Max films are
best left for the studio where everything is under perfect control,
while Tri-X still rules in the field.

> As for color, you can't beat Velvia.

But not for people, and certainly not indoors!

A low contrast portrait film like Kodak Portra or Fuji NPH is
indicated for that application.

--
| Christopher J. Biggs -|- R & D Software Engineer --  Stallion Technologies |
| chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -|- If it isn't broken, I just haven't touched it yet |