RE: [OM] Dis of the 28F3.5

Subject: RE: [OM] Dis of the 28F3.5
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 13:56:00 +0100
Hi,

> << 24mm or 28mm 2.8 lens.  The 28/2.8 is relatively easy to find (don't
> bother with the 28/3.5 as it is a vignetting piece of junk hardly
> worthy of being  called a Zuiko!  Ok, maybe not THAT bad).  >>
>
> Lots of people on this list dislike that lens, but I've found it to be my
> favorite 28 of all time

> Is this manufacturing variability?  I can understand that sharpness
> varies, but would be surprised that light falloff would also vary! I
> also remember that the Modern Photography review of the 28F3.5 stated
> that the lens they reviewed consistantly underexposed a half stop, but I
> never made such a correction myself. Is it just me?

I think there may be differences between various samples. The 28/3.5 I use
is one of the really oldies (my father bought it in 1975) and is AFAIK SC.
Yet, about 400f the pictures in my picture gallery have been taken with
it, and I only post my personal favourites there.

Regarding vignetting: I re-visited my own site and I think this picture may
have it a bit in the upper two corners (or is this a different phenomenon
than vignetting?):
http://www.web-wizards.com/olympus/picture_gallery/ojg_ven07.html

But, I'm not even certain anymore whether this was taken with the 50mm or
the 28mm (I'm quite positive it was the 28mm though), and if memory serves
me right this is the only picture in my gallery that has this effect (I
don't recall seeing this effect in the pictures I didn't post there either -
at least not very often)...

Then last year or so I bought the much higher regarded 24/2.8 (2nd handed
and again SC AFAIK), and as to this date I'm underwhelmed by its results,
whereas almost everybody swears by this lens. A bad sample or due to poor
weather conditions? Time will tell, but one thing is certain and that's that
the 28/3.5 has given me a lot of lovely images, and I don't think I will
ever part with it. IMO it's very much so worth of being called a Zuiko, and
my only complaint about it is that it's a bit slow.

As a matter of fact, currently the 24/2.8 is one of the few lenses I have
over here in Amsterdam. This is not because it's my favourite lens, but
merely because I'm unsatisfied with the results I've been getting with it so
far. Therefore, I want to get familiar with it, and that's best done by
forcing myself to use it. With the 28/3.5 this is by no means necessary
(anymore) and I always know what I get...

Just my thoughts though...

Cheers!
Olafo