Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: george <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:54:44 -0800
Glen;

Glen Lowry wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> Sorry to mistake the original post.  If I had understood that we are talking
> about the entire arsenals we have to draw from I'd have said some about
> always travelling w/ different formats or the fact that I feel lost w/ out a
> quiet little rangefinder somewhere close at hand--say in the trunk, under
> the seat, in my briefcase, on the desk.
>
> Because I have what some might see as an 'unhealthy propensity to collect
> lenses--Zuikos, Tamrons, SMC, EF, Leitz, and a growing assortment of
> englarging lenses (El-Nikkor, Schneider, Rodenstock)--I know something about
> the need to "be prepared."

Yeah, me too. Cept so far only Zuikos, and 4 enlarging lenses.  What
kind of darkroom work do you do.

  The point that I was trying to make, or that
> Doris had made and I wanted to respond to, was that the more lenses I have
> and and the more that I get a chance to use the more selective I become.
> Granted I will take various longer lenses along out of necessity or in
> anticipation of a particular type of shoot or environment; however, the
> photography that pleases me the most is tending more and more to involve
> very basic tools.

I understand this point. ADITL2, using only 50mm, applied it.  I must
admit I was lucky when I found my shot that it fit the 50 perfectly.
Ordnarily I would have grabbed the 35-80 zoom to crop it right.

> The 50/1.2 is for me a perfect lens--speed, size, sharpness and an extremely
> narrow depth of field.

I love my 50/1.2

  I have tried to use zooms--35-70, 35-80, 35-105--to
> supplement it and because I am hand holding everything (yes I have tripods
> and a monopod) I find that cannot abide by the slow speeds, even 2.8.

I prefer fast lenses too, but they can't ALL be F/2 can they?  What is
it you can't abide?  2-series screens make a 2.8 look like a 1.8 or
better.

> More
> often than not the hardest decision I have to make is about film
> (speed/format/aspect), not about what lenses to bring.
>
> Another (rather obvious) lesson that I've learned is that photos tend to
> improve as the photographer gets closer to the subject.  Shooting
> (portraits) at normal or wide angles demands higher levels of intimacy and
> interaction and often allows for more intricate composition, which I find
> challenging and liberating,   When one is within a few feet of the subject
> and incident meter tends to work very well and it saves findling around with
> those little buttons on top of the 0M4 (which does indeed have a very good
> reflective meter).

Having never done this (outside), I never thought of it as a use for
incident meter.

Have fun

george