Re: [OM] Questions for the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions for the group
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:38:43 +0000
And if you keep enough freshly desiccated silica gel in there fungus should
not be a problem either.

George's solution I think is a very good one.  I recently flew from
Shannon in Ireland to Perth Australia and back again. I have nearly all
my equipment in a 1450 Pelican case  - 7 lenses (including my 180mm
f2) and one body .  Even though the 180 has its own aluminium case, this
is not airtight, so with fungus being a real worry here in Ireland I keep
it in the Pelican.

For the trip, I removed three lenses I didn';t think I would need, filled
the empty spaces with foam then I used cable ties to secure it shut then
put it inside my main suitcase and secured its handle to the aluminium
frame of the suitcase with another cable tie.

My thinking is that the cable ties would slow down anyone wanting to steal
something, unless they happened to be carrying cutters, and if they were
so equipped they might as easily have a tungsten carbide hack saw blade so
steel cable or chain might be no better.  My main protection is an all
risks insurance policy.

All my gear survived the tender mercies of the baggage handlers (three
planes each way) with ease.  I could tell that the baggage handlers are
strong lads as they must have tossed my case around (26kg), or perhaps
they just dropped it, as the 180 had shifted a bit inside the case but I
put 50mm oif high density foam between it and the other inhabitants of
the case so 'shift' is all that happened.

I wish Pelican would make a case which could be easily converted to carry
as a backpack or in a form that was made to fit inside one.

Giles