[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1382

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1382
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:30:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>For landscapes/nature, the *BIG NEWS* is that Fuji has a brand new
>transparency film called *Provia 100F (RDP III)* which is *the most
>grainless film ever made*.

Not simply for landscapes and nature, but also for portraiture -- Asian
and Caucasian, at any rate.  I've just done a fashion shoot using Provia F
almost exclusively, with suberb results.  I prefer it to E100S and Astia,
my former portrait films.  It's not only sharper, but seems to do well
with various lighting situations, including flash.

E100VS has now replaced Velvia in my arsenal, when I need silly
color.  (VS will occasionally turn Caucasians into lobsters, but not as
consistently as Velvia will.)

Provia F is weening from my addiction to supersaturated film.  My guess is
that the new Provia will prove excellent for food shots as well.

The only problems I've had with Provia F -- and it might have been a bad
batch -- was late afternoon light, which turned oddly dull.  Could be that
the Provia, which has a blue cast, doesn't deal well with yellow-orange
light.  (On the other hand, it gives me very warm results with the
Metz.  So who knows what's going on...)

Doug Cooper