Re: [OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:55:11 -0800
Philip writes:

<< I also hope that we are all mature enough to disagree in an
intelligent and mature way. It certainly takes the fun out of this when
one uses personal assaults one another. . . Gary if you feel that I took
a pot shot at your integrity please let me know and I will apologize. >>

One could possibility conclude I also took at pot shot at you.  Actually
I tried restricting myself to arguments in which I could present facts
to back up my strong convictions.  I continue to believe that e-commerce
is transforming many markets for many products, including photographic
euipment.  I think it was a spirited discussion from two people with
strong convictions.  It is the sort of thing that happens day in and day
out between scientist types, but can leave folks in other disciplines
shaking their head over how two people can argue so spiritedly and not
get in a fight.

As I said in our old, original thread, I think you are living in an area
where easy availability of used camera gear is an anomaly.  Plus, some
of the only remaining vibrant camera shows are in the lower half of
California. (I've been to them coast to coast and that is my observation
based on dealer counts and shopper counts). Los Angeles is a center for
photographers and there is much used equipment changing hands.  A retail
sale on a $69 35-70mm f/3.5~4.5 makes sense for San Diego (there was one
at Sahara Camera in Las Vegas for $79, albeit with some helical grit),
as much as a $250 sale on the same lens via the Internet to North Dakota
makes sense. There is an expensive opportunity cost to physically retail
shopping in/from North Dakota.  And there aren't enough of these lenses
on vendors supply lists to satisfy the immediate gratification
tendencies of Internet-based shoppers.  Those psychological tendencies
confound traditional supply/demand theory and make the Internet venue
show roller coaster market values for items that seen to be plentiful in
retail.

The Internet is bringing the available goods to the computer screens of
many folks in poor retail markets.  It is drying up availability of used
gear in all retail markets. (You better believe that KEH is hurting -
what store that has gone Internet-savvy is going to put up with their
discount buyers?) It is giving us the closest thing to an open market in
which buyers know what sellers should ask and sellers know what buyers
should be willing to pay. One only has to pick up nearly any issue of
Industry Standard, the flagship magazine of e-commerce, to know we are
in an economic revolution like we haven't seen since the dawn of the
Industrial Revolution.  If none of it proves to be true in the long run,
and its just a fad, I will have at least enjoyed the ride!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV