Re: [OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks

Subject: Re: [OM] Ebay Scams and persoanl attacks
From: "Rand E." <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:35:27 -0500
I'm with Gary all the way on this matter.  If it hadn't been for the
internet, and yes eBay, the only additional item that I would have would
be a shoe 4 for my OM-2n.  'Course I got that over the internet!
  I enjoy one of the less traveled ways of Zuikohaulism, my "thing" is
Macro, the biggest reason that I went Olympus in the first place.
Imagine, at the time, early 1970's I believe, taking a picture using my
20 mm f3.5, bellows, macro stand etc....  And doing it TTL !  To do it
any other way you were experimenting or a math major.  It was the best
at this at the time and very likely is still right up there.
  Anyway, I live outside Baltimore, MD.  There are two camera stores in
the area that ever even had any Olympus OM gear.  And that was a long
time ago and it is seldom that anything ever shows up.  There are two of
us on the list in this area (Tomoko and I).  The nourishment that we get
from these shops and the sorry camera shows that come to this area would
starve you to death if it were food.  I then observe others on the list
who don't even have this meager sustenance to support this voracious
habit.  I think of our members up in BC in Canada and others down in
South America and I just shudder.
  To me the internet and eBay are great innovations that I am thankful
for.  I have made several hundred transactions on eBay, buying and
selling too.  I take pride in my feedback rating as does Gary and the
rest of us that sell there.  I have made all these transactions and the
worst I have experienced is that the item I bid on and paid for was
"only" as described and not what I had hoped for.  I don't have a fixed
set of guidelines, like Barry, that I use when I bid on something other
than using common sense.  If the description or email reply doesn't add
up and leaves you with that feeling that there is just something out of
place, don't do it.
  I have spent 24 years in the military dealing with people.  I have
come to the conclusion that most of the people that are unable to trust
other people to any degree, are that way because either they are
paranoid or can't trust because they know how they would react in that
given situation.
Long live Zuikohaulism, eBay and common sense !
IMHO,
Rand E.

snip   snip