Re: [OM] [OT] Ebay Scams & personal attacks

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Ebay Scams & personal attacks
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:45:30 -0600 (CST)
This will be my last post on the matter:

Phillip, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Your statement
clearly implied a conflict of interest on Gary's part. To that I
replied with one sentence that said I thought that was an unfair
potshot. I made no further references to the issue. The rest of my
post discussed ways to minimize risk in on-line trades.

However, since you insist on pursuing the issue:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:35:00 -0800, Phillip Franklin wrote:

>Barry,
>
>Please read your own words since you have said you have read mine.

Done.Twice.

> If I affirmed my faith in
>Gary's integrity ... then why did you say I took a potshot at him?  How did my
>acknowledgment of Gary being a seller on eBay impugn his integrity?

You wrote "I know you must be a merchant on the eBay thing and
therefore are going to try and
depict this as safe way to transact business." This sentence clearly
states that the reason Gary would depict eBay as safe is because he
is an eBay merchant. "Therefore" clearly implies causation.

Your subsequent statement, "But it is not.",  makes it clear that you
don't believe eBay to be safe, adding credence to the suggestion that
Gary is misleading us.

You follow that with "I'm sure you are honest ethical and I would not
hesitate to buy a used lens or camera from you". Taken out of context
this sounds like a qualified endorsement. However, on the heels of
the above, this sounds a little bit like "but I'm sure you don't beat
your wife much."

That's what I objected to and is why I wrote the following stinging
condemnation of your character [sic] "Idon't think it's kosher to
take potshots at Gary's integrity because he sells on eBay."

In all seriousness, you'll notice the absence of personal insult,
malice, reference to sexual preference, or other inflammatory
rhetoric in my reply.

>  If I said Barry I know
>you are seller on eBay ('cause you told me so) does that mean I'm implying
>that you have no
>integrity?

Only if you follow it with "and therefore are going to try and depict
this as safe way to transact business."

>My statements are clear.

They certainly seemed so tome.

>  My first job out of college was writing very complex
>California and Federal political position papers. Most of the issues were
>highly charged.
>The reason I was offered that job was my ability to write clear concise
>sentences that most
>intelligent people could understand. Also they had to be translated in many
>different
>languages. So my words could not be misunderstood by even those who were not
>as familiar
>with  certain local terminology or phrasing.

Should we compare resumes? I'll decline, but will offer that I, too,
have written professionally for 20 years and have a graduate degree
in a discipline that emphasized writing skills.

>You are the very first to read an implied
>statement into one of my writings which I had no intention of saying.

That's difficult to believe. You are the first writer I've ever met
who could say such a thing.

> No, I was not an
>English major but an Economics major (under grad & grad). Because I have too
>little talent
>to be a Playboy or top fashion photographer, most of living has been earned by
>my business
>and technical communications skills.  So for you to read such a statement into
>my writings
>bothers me.  However I feel that you were more interested in getting your
>point across than
>understanding my communication. That is ok.

However, it is incorrect. I was equally interested in both.

>However don't accuse me (or any one) of
>implying something (especially something negative about a fellow member of the
>list) that I
>obviously did not say.

It was far from obvious to me. Given your vigorous defence, I believe
that you didn't intend to impugn Gary's integrity, but your post
didmore than imply it. A simple "That's not what I meant" would have
cleared it up.

> As I said before it is more a reflection on your communication and
>comprehension skills than anything that I actually said.

This is very true.  However, at this point I am sure that you and I
will interpret the above very differently.

> I hope this clears this up to the
>other list members.  And Barry please don't accuse me of making personal
>attacks on members
>of this list.  That has not nor will it ever be my style.

Then I should take the preceding as a compliment?

For the record, my accusation of personal attacks consisted of the
one sentence: [sic] "Idon't think it's kosher to take potshots at
Gary's integrity because he sells on eBay."

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel
bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx