Re: [OM] Which wide angle (Zuiko) to choose...?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which wide angle (Zuiko) to choose...?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:16:28 -0700
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
> > I have in the past been concirned mostly with the longer lens-lengths, and
> > my
> > only venture into the wide-angles has been the Sigma 21-35 zoom
> > I have been considering investing in a wide-angle Zuiko for quite a while,
> > however since no shops around my place happen to have one for me to see and
> > try, I have been most reluctant to ordering one - after all, it is (can be)
> > rather expensive.
> > So what are your opinions? Which wide-angle lense would *you* buy? (and
> > why?)
>
>    I would ask you first: at what focal length do you find yourself most
> often with your 21-35 zoom ? Second, almost any Zuiko is going to have
> less fall-off, more contrast and less distortion than your zoom, so you're
> likely to be very pleased, but the focal length is the big parameter.
>    Indicating what sort of photography you do would also be helpful.

Fact is, that I have not done much photography with wide-angle yet, basically
because the zoom often was found too "big" to carry along with the other geer I
really *needed*. I am mostly a telephoto-guy, as mentioned in my original
post. However the chances are that it will be used mainly for landscapes (as in
"when rock climbing"), and if memory serves me, I've been using the
zoom more at the "wider end" than at the 35mm end. I have, however, nothing
other than vague memories to support this - I usually don't stop to look at the
setting of my zoom after shooting. So I would be more interrested, I guess, in
something at the range <24mm or thereabout. However if all good experience says
that the 28mm is really _the_ zoom, then I am sure that wouldn't be a that
fixed parameter for me.

I guess that be the most information I can give. I admitt it to be rather
vague, but....

--thomas

>                                          *= Doris Fang =*

Mange hilsner / Sincerely