Re: [OM] OM-4T(i) paint

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4T(i) paint
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:18:48 +0000
>They're just sooooo much more sexy looking!!! ;)
>Yes, it's very much a taste thing: one person prefers the champage finish,
>and another one likes the black ones better...

Originally, it was because black cameras did not scare wildlife off like the
reflective chrome bodies used to for nature photographers. These days, it's
just a taste issue.

Brass is fairly difficult to paint and have it stick, but easier to plate.
The chrome finish is plated, and the black finish is a paint. If it were me,
I'd use a special plating process to make it black. I've been considering
getting a heavily brassed up body and doing just that. Obviously, I'd have
to remove the parts to be plated from the camera body to do this. I've done
some plating myself with good results, though I probably won't do any more,
since it's too messy and stinky to do in a kitchen (and I don't have a
garage).

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright