Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f 1.4 Optical Formula.

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 50mm f 1.4 Optical Formula.
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:15:41 -0800
Alex writes:

<< More importantly, what is the starting serial number of the new
formulation? >>

1,000,000.

I'm the source of the rumor that there was an change in the optical
formulation.  I'm not saying that it took the form of different elements
or groups.  I'm of the OPINION that multicoating the original formula
proved impossible (coating does change a lens' optical characteristics)
and the best Olympus could do was multi-coating a single element in the
original design and adding a moniker that claimed MC.  They then brought
out a signifantly improved lens with full multicoating and restarted the
serial numbers at 1,000,000.

I've now tested enough 50mm f/1.4 examples that the difference in
performance is real and not a sampling artifact.  Among those gurus
previously in the know (like Gary Schloss), I've only proved
conventional wisdom.  So I'm a "Johnny Come Lately" to this, albeit with
some test data to back it up.

Perhaps John H. can tell us if the part numbers for the elements in the
50mm f/1.4 changed over time?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV