[OM] eBay & OM ... (Barry, no Scams here)

Subject: [OM] eBay & OM ... (Barry, no Scams here)
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:54:01 -0800
Gary,

Basically I agree with your analysis that e-commerce in general does a great
deal towards
evening out the distribution of goods; especially those goods that have a
limited or
expensive distribution channel.  Small vendors can have access to large markets
they would
otherwise not have an economical way of entering.  Of course this is true of
eBay. And I
think the key, especially in the case of eBay, is just that ... very small
vendors. Selling
onsies is obviously not an economical distribution method for the opposite end
of the
spectrum, large vendors. For a ten million dollar a year retail photography
store serving an
area the size of metro San Diego county, selling a handful of items per week or
month over
eBay might be more trouble than it's worth. Most if not all of these customers
would never
come into the store and purchase expensive supplies and new equipment on a
regular basis.
So the time and effort it takes to list on eBay and wait until the auction is
closed, get
payment from the buyer, package and send the goods, and then offer after sale
support on an
item that they might not have made any money on is not a form of business that
helps them.
On the other hand the reverse is true. By making available to their regular
customers a
place to trade older or used equipment, they increase retail store traffic and
increase
their opportunities of selling some rather expensive high margin equipment and
supplies.
Since I have to actually go there anyway to buy the pro films that I know have
been properly
stored and are available, I like to look at their used case, even if I don't
really need
anything. Because I needed $25-$30 worth of film I end up leaving the store
with maybe a
couple a hundred less dollars in my pocket.  That is the magic of retailing.
Certainly very
high quality e-commerce sites will start understanding and incorporating this
concept into
their on line retail stores.

Currently and for the last six months my main consulting project has been create
opportunities of this taking place in the distribution channel of media
products both
electronic and in box form. Right now I am an acting director (for lack of a
better title)
of the e-commerce spin-off of one of the largest independent media distributors
in the
world. So, yes, I really understand and appreciate your sentiments on
e-commerce in general.
The next project I am proposing is really exciting in that it focuses in on
e-commerce for
local markets.  My point here is simple. What we see happening in e-commerce
right now may
not be the model of future successful operations. There is going to be some
very interesting
learning curves in the near future. Certainly in the long run all operations
will have to be
profitable or else they will shift focus or dry up.

Yes, I see you are making some excellent points about the dude in North Dakota
who is just
dying for that mint MC Zuiko 24/2.8.  He may live to be 120 and not see one
cross his path
at the local photo/drug/bait & tackle store. So he goes on-line and becomes the
successful
high bidder by paying a price that us in Southern California laugh about 'cause
we see them
every other Monday at half that bid price.  Sooner or later some wise guy gets
the idea that
he can make some good pocket money for one of his expensive hobbies or habits;
so he buys
cheap in LA and sells high to that hungry dude in North Dakota. Thus everybody
is now happy
I guess. Sounds good, looks good right? Well I don't think in the big picture
of photo and
camera goods there is any earth shattering thing going on here. Yes the dude in
North Dakota
is happy and the entrepreneur in LA has a few extra bucks, but it will not make
a big
difference in the market as a whole. Sooner or later all those out in the
sticks will have
spent all of their money and now have every piece of the OM line ever made.
There will
still be more of it sitting on the back shelves of some studios, photo stores,
peoples homes
and where ever else. Olympus made more of it than the planet as a whole really
wants to
use.  Sure there is an outside chance that it will become strictly a collector
commodity
like 1956 Mickey Mantle baseball cards. But quite frankly I doubt it. Realize
this ... there
is still plenty of it available as brand spank'n new.  Sure its pricey now
(especially
compared to Oly America's policy of the 70's and 80's of blowing it out under
Nikon &
Canon). But it's brand new! B&H can have it to me in less than 24 hrs! Why the
hell do I
need to bid the price up in an auction of possibly someone's problems.  I know
what it's
worth. Sure there are always those with nothing better to do than bargain hunt,
and to those
good luck. Have fun. But it just does not work for everyone.

Sure e-commerce is great. The Internet is great. But eBay is not necessarily
the future
distribution channel of the masses. It takes way too long to complete a
transaction, some
shady vendors (Barry .... not you or Gary,  please!), mostly used merchandise,
various
shipping costs, non-professional packaging & shipping, a "ma & pa" mentality
and basic hit
or miss at getting what you need when you need it.  Yes it's hyped and is
getting much press
both good and bad. It's has it's appeal to those that like it. But for those
who are really
looking for some used OM stuff don't depend on it as your only means of
satisfying your lust
for Zuiko. I'm just trying to help fellow Zuiks satisfy their lust without
blowing their
kids college tuition money. Rule one. Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy
used equipment.
Rule Two. If as I and Gary suggest there is probably an over supply in the LA
area ... then
think. If some one on the list has actually read this post and is in  dyer need
of something
OM and used, please contact me off list. I can give you some of my exclusive
contacts to
try.  Keep in mind you may have to bug them on a regular basis for some time to
get what you
want.  Usually they come through at fair prices and top quality. Also this will
be my last
post on the topic of eBay unless Barry begs me to continue.

eBay ... e-nough
Phillip Franklin