Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1382

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1382
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:08:55 -0800
OK, but what does it gain him to bring that up in an article published in
the year 2000?  What is it's relevancy?  Perhaps I should look again at his
context.  Should he talk about Fuji and WWII as well? Or Agfas' role in the
war?

In the same article he slammed Kodak for (paraphrasing from memory) "doing
nothing about environmental problems of silver-based photography
(specifically Kodachrome chemistry I think) until they were forced into it."
**Excuse me** Galen, is this the corporate exception or the rule? And  Galen
himself, of course, was a big customer of Kodak in those days, using nothing
but Kodachrome II and Kodachrome 25 until sometime in the eighties.  What
did **he** do about the problem?  Obviously he didn't avoid using the film.
Did he lobby hard for more environmentally friendly chemistry? Heck, does he
even now eschew chemical-based photography in favor of *digital* photo
technology.  No again.

So let me write a quick paragraph about Galen Rowell:

"Galen Rowell used huge amounts of Kodachrome film because it was the best
product available to him.  This product allowed Mr. Rowell to earn a
substantial living in the field of photography, having failed as an auto
repair shop owner.  Paradoxically Galen, whose father was an environmental
philosopher and whose mentors were environmentalists, knew that Kodachrome
was the most environmentally unfriendly film and chemistry then in
existence.  Yet he continued to use huge amounts of this product instead of
environmentally-cleaner E-6 films until an E-6 film was invented that he
deemed superior.  In other words Mr Rowell put his own livelyhood ahead of
his beloved environment.  A disturbing history for someone who accuses Kodak
of environmental negligence."

george