RE: [OM] PANAROMA PHOTOS

Subject: RE: [OM] PANAROMA PHOTOS
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:03:34 +0000
At 08:52 1/26/00 , Jim Teo wrote:
>I'm planning to take panaroma photos by joining a series of photos.
>Any advise on which focal length to use (widest I've is 24/2.8) and how to
>ensure it joins "perfectly"?

A couple of the better sites I've found discussing panoramics:
  http://www.pinefarm.demon.co.uk/james/panoguide/
  http://www.shortcourses.com/book01/11-00.htm

There are links on the first one for other sites.

Also, one of our own list members, Denton Taylor, has a *very* fine site on
the subject:
  http://www.threehundredsixty.com/

Seems that most either go super duper wide, rectilinear or fisheye
(8-21mm), or to the more modest wides.  I have been using a 28mm
horizontally, but will begin using it vertically *or* likely buy more
lenses to go wider this Spring.

I haven't been at it that long, so I'm still learning, but do have some
initial ones up here:
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/galleryframe.html

Use the menu on the left to go to one of the two pano series I shot last
Fall.  There is some vignetting in them and a couple had *horrid* flare
shooting into the sun.

Rotation is *not* done around the tripod screw mount on the body.  It is
done around the "rear lens node."  The camera must also be _dead_ level to
keep the horizon straight.  The other description I've seen is the virtual
location of the center of the diaphragm as viewed through the front of the
lens.  See one of the tutorial sites for information about it, and a couple
methods for how to find it.

Agree completely with one of the other postings about PhotoVista.  It seems
to be *the* stitching software for puting the images together.

BTW, you can also do a not-so-wide pano with a shift lens!  Use the same
link to my site to see them.  Did a few of them with the 35/2.8 just to
test the concept and see how well it worked.  They stitched together
*perfectly* in PhotoVista.  I also spliced prints from the shift lens
together carefully and they also lined up *perfectly* but you need to tell
the printer not to change the enlarger setting when making the prints!

GL
-- John