RE: [OM] optical formulas for 50/1.4

Subject: RE: [OM] optical formulas for 50/1.4
From: "=?default?q?=C1ngel_Lobo?=" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:43:35 +0100
Joseph writes:
-------------
two lenses can have the same number of elements and groups and be different
formulas.  the optical formula is the overall design and includes the
focal length of each element, whether it is a positive or negative element,
and the spacing between the elements as well as the number of elements.

If you get into coating, there are more than 2 optical formulas for
the 50/1.4 as there were single and multi-coated ones.

Joseph
-------------

Well Joseph.

Before ask my first message concerning the Zuiko 50mm f 1.4 optical
formula, I watch (one more time) the different diagrams (overall designs)
showed by Olympus of this lens from the first time to the last time and I
don´t see differences on the optical formula.

I want to know if somebody on the Olympus List ( John H.? ) open for
surgery usually this lens and know well the internal parts.

Some months ago I ask on the List concerning the 50 mm 1.8 engraved "Zuiko
MC",  the first lens multi coated on the  Zuiko 50mm f 1.8 saga. As we all
know on the 50 1.8 is clear the change from 6 el. / 5 gr. to 6 el. / 4 gr.
On that moment I ask "Is the 50 mm f 1.8 engraved "Zuiko MC" an old lens
6/5 multi coated or a modern 6/4 multi coated ?" Today, still I have no
answer.

Concerning the tests of the different lenses 50 1.4, Dirk Wright writes:

" I have lucky for a change. I have 1.07X.XXX for a serial number".

Well, some members of this List say "The numbers are not all on the
tests.."

I can say: I have 4 different lenses  Olympus 50 mm f 1.4:

1 First single coated silver rim.
2 First single coated black rim.
3 The lens engraved "Zuiko MC". ( Less than 1.000.000 serial number).
4 The lens engraved "Japan". (More than 1.000.000 serial number).

I take a lot of slides with all of them, ant I do a lot of test with all
(over a Mira. Test and over a complex landscape with good light).

Time after time "IMHO" the best is the Nº 3, engraved "Zuiko MC" and not
the modern "Japan" with serial number more than 1.000.000. (Maybe this last
1.4 give more l/mm etc, etc, but for me there are a lot of other important
things that you only can see on a good portrait or a good landscape).

Some other experiences ?

Thanks.

Ángel Lobo.