Re: [OM] model work- beginners queries / Long Response

Subject: Re: [OM] model work- beginners queries / Long Response
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:07:29 +0000
======Hi all, I am in desperate need of some advice. I have been asked to do
some modeling work for a friend (who has also *got* to be desperate
too!) and I have never tried portrait work. I would like to know if a
135 mm Zuik would be a good choice? Also as I do not have a studio etc,
I thought we would do the shots at outdoor locations, do I need any
special filters or reflectors for the lighting? What's the best time of
day? And last of all but not least, which films are recommended for
portrait work? Any advice would go a long way as I have never tried this
before and have only just started some reading.=====

Mark,

What kind of work does the model need?
Is this for a submission to an agency for consideration,
a composite or something else?
Many times a model will spend too much money time and effort
on photo's that are just not needed.

You will need proper exposure though.  That means TTL or a flash meter.
Don't bother with filters for now.  That takes some experimenting.
You may go too soft or too warm and besides, how much do you
want to spend on this favor.

Film:  Fuji or Kodak 100 or 200, people have their preference but either
will do.
If you want to use pro film (recommended) try the Portra film from Kodak.
Use a pro lab for this stuff and a Pro or consumer lab for the consumer
films.
It is a good idea to over expose for indoor flash portraits (1/3 to 1/2
stop).

This should be a good first experience for you and the model.  Have Fun!

Charlie L.
Off list at CPL49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looked good Charlie the Lion! Thanks for putting so many tips down; I tend to forget them for the rare occasions that I take portraits. My mother's wedding looked good through a 75-150 with a 50/1.4 for romantic, window-lit shots afterwards of the bride. Fuji ISO160 print film worked well as well.

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx