Re: [OM] OT What to do with all those negatives

Subject: Re: [OM] OT What to do with all those negatives
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:52:23 -0600
At 05:54 AM 1/27/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>This is OT, but something I think everyone here can
>relate to.
>
>I am starting to have a lot of negatives, but have so
>far made no move to organize them.
>
>How does the experienced Zuikoholic store, categorize,
>keep for eternity those precious negs?

I put them in polypropylene sleeves, date them, ID them (camera type,
memo), then put them in a three ring binder labeled by year.

I use six digits to date them:  today would be "000127" (year, month, day).
 If  I have multiple rolls on a single date, I subdivide the date with
letters:  000127a, 000127b, etc.

I use these numbers also to date a set of the corresponding photolab
prints, which I store in the photolab envelope in a plastic container of
the appropriate size in lots of about 10 sets of prints per container.  I
label the container with the date range for quick reference.

The numbers on each roll in addition to providing the date info also serve
as the basis of filenames of scans or for database organization.  E.g.,
"000127a01.TIF," "000127b36.JPG".  This makes it easy to identify and find
the original negative when one gets a new scanner and re-scans everything.8-0

I'm sure there are more elegant solutions. So far this works for me.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA