Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??

Subject: Re: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??
From: "george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:25:01 -0800

>Well, a friend of mine celebrated his fortieth birthday by having laser
surgery on both eyes (one at a time, just in case the first one doesn't
"take" for some reason, at least they haven't buggered up both eyes).  He
now has 20/20 in both eyes, and loves it.

>While I can afford it, I *can't* bear the thought of someone slicing open
my eye(s) with a laser...  I'll stick to my (relatively lightweight and
unobtrusive) glasses.

>Garth

I've been seriously considering this as well.  I'm one of the eyeglass
wearer type now. I'm nearsighted, so I need to take the glasses off when
fiddling with controls.  I leave em off when using my 4x5 or 4Tis.  But I
have to put em back on for OM-1s and 2s.  It's a pain.  I do find an
eyeglass neck strap helps.

As for the surgery, I've talked to several folks and they've reported what
sounds strange to me, but they swear it's not a problem:  they come out of
the surgery with one eye fgood for distance, the other for close up.
Strange.  I'd prefer it the way your friend did it, Giles, though I am as
nervous as you are about the procedure.

george